[SANOG] [Ext] SANOG29: Feedback on ICANN presentation

Champika Wijayatunga champika.wijayatunga at icann.org
Mon Jan 23 23:49:23 UTC 2017

Dear Donald,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is helpful and will incorporate the suggestions in future presentations.

Best regards,

Champika.

---------------------------

Champika Wijayatunga

Regional SSR Engagement Manager – APAC

From: sanog <sanog-bounces at sanog.org> on behalf of Donald Clark <dsc at google.com>
Date: Monday, January 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM
To: SANOG <sanog at sanog.org>
Subject: [Ext] [SANOG] SANOG29: Feedback on ICANN presentation

Dear SANOG team

Some feedback on the ICANN presentation at this SANOG - offered in an open manner of driving general SANOG event improvement.

First - it's v important that ICANN is at these events, and supports them with its presence, and in other ways. And the ICANN people are universally excellent.

I did feel that the content and visuals of Champ's presentation today could have had more impact on the local audience in attendance - and thus ICANN's work. How?

- fewer words, more slowly spoken: with many intermediate or lower English language skills in the audience, it might be optimal to try to cover less information and do so with more simple, slower language

- framing: starting off by answering the implicit question "who are ICANN?" "why do we matter to you, the Internet community in Pakistan" (local language TLDs, resources, policies," and then maybe "we do lots of things - here are 4 things that I'm going to talk on"...

- visuals: the visuals that worked well were those with very few words, a few, large colored blocks, eg the UA section. The ones that didn;'t work at all seemed to have schematics/ eng diagrams on them or massively complex graphics. I was in the front row and couldn't ready them :-/ (poor  local projection).

- focus: (repeating a bit here) -- fewer topics, more slowly explained, made relevant to the local audience - ---- and then a list of all the other things ICANN is involved with to explore more.

Cheers

Donald