[SANOG] Your Input Needed: Can ROA Replace LOA? – Short Survey (7 mins)

Aftab Siddiqui aftab.siddiqui at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 01:47:24 UTC 2023

Dear Network Operators,

We are exploring the possibility of using Route Origin Authorizations (ROA)
as a potential replacement for Letters of Authorization (LOA) in internet
routing security and would like to understand Network Operators' point of
view.

An LOA, or "Letter of Authority" / "Letter of Authorization," is a formal
document granting permission for third parties to take specific actions
regarding network resources or services. In the service provider industry,
its primary use is for advertising address resources (IPv4/v6 and ASN).
When an organization intends to announce its IP prefixes through its own or
a transit provider's ASN to the global internet, it typically needs to
provide an LOA to their transit provider, confirming their custodianship or
ownership of the resources.

RPKI ROA, stands for "Resource Public Key Infrastructure Route Origin
Authorization," is part of a security framework designed to validate the
authenticity of internet routing information. It involves a digitally
signed object that specifies which Autonomous Systems (ASes) are permitted
to announce specific IP address prefixes.

Could you please take a moment to fill out our brief survey? Your feedback
will play a crucial role in our understanding of this topic.

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JCHLWBB

[apologies for cross posting]

Regards,

Aftab A. Siddiqui