[SANOG] [apnic-talk]Re: Reg - IPV6 allocation method changes from block based to delegations based for NIR

Guangliang Pan gpan at apnic.net
Wed Dec 22 03:11:28 UTC 2021

Thanks David for your explanation.

To clarify, APNIC has never given NIRs large IPv6 blocks for sub-delegations; APNIC has always used direct delegation methods for IPv6 delegations to NIR Members. All IPv6 delegations to organizations under NIRs are directly from the APNIC pool, which give them the same position as APNIC direct Members in the IPv6 pool, to allow further growth.

The change from the previous NIR block-based process to direct delegation methods happened in 2004 and was for IPv4 only. The purpose of the change was for better aggregation, as APNIC has bigger pool than NIRs.

It looks like there are some confusion and APNIC will update the APNIC Blog to make it clearer.

Kind regards,
Guangliang