[SANOG] Fwd: [pacnog] Lawful Intercept with OpenLI

Srinivas (Sunny) Chendi sunny at apnic.net
Mon Sep 28 23:33:44 UTC 2020

FYI.

-Sunny

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[pacnog] Lawful Intercept with OpenLI
Date: 	Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:49:28 +1300
From: 	Shane Alcock <shane.alcock at waikato.ac.nz>
To: 	pacnog at pacnog.org

Hi all,

My name is Shane Alcock and I am a research programmer with the WAND
Network Research Group at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.

Over the past three years, we have been working with network operators
in New Zealand to develop an open-source software implementation of the
ETSI standards for Lawful Interception, giving operators a viable
low-cost alternative for meeting their government-mandated lawful
interception obligations. This project, OpenLI, has been very successful
and there are now a number of operators in New Zealand who are using our
system in production. You can read more about the OpenLI project at
https://blog.apnic.net/2020/03/31/open-source-solution-enables-operators-to-comply-with-lawful-interception-standards/
<https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.apnic.net%2F2020%2F03%2F31%2Fopen-source-solution-enables-operators-to-comply-with-lawful-interception-standards%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca890b15c2bc94ead003d08d863f86dbe%7C127d8d0d7ccf473dab096e44ad752ded%7C0%7C0%7C637369266421193856&sdata=QIPQcLOfFWTj3FJBce0iabFuEf1784kQUpp0dr2ThEo%3D&reserved=0>

Recently, we were awarded funding from ISIF Asia to perform any work
necessary to ensure that OpenLI is a suitable option for operators in
other countries within the Asia Pacific region. This work will require
us to collaborate with operators, with the aim of delivering successful
OpenLI deployments that satisfy the Law Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) in
the countries where those operators are running their networks. The
funding will allow us to dedicate developer resources to assist with
those deployments: either by writing code to add new features, training
operators in the use of OpenLI or providing support and troubleshooting
assistance.

If there are any operators on this list who are interested in OpenLI and
would like our assistance to attempt an OpenLI deployment on your
network, please contact me off-list for more information.

Thanks,

Shane